Thursday, October 15, 2009

Don't Let the Ponytail Fool You

I think I may have mentioned in a previous blog post that I might perchance be a wee bit competetive. (I think I mentioned knocking over small children and the elderly in a game of musical chairs. Hey! Don't judge me!) I honestly don't know what deep underlying psychosis drives me to win. I suppose there's something down in the dark recesses of my brain that needs to feel accepted, that needs concrete proof that I "measure up". Heck I don't know. I'll leave the psychoanalysis to the more qualified. In the mean time, I've learned to embrace my inner demons. In translation, that means I kinda like the competetive side of me. (Although, I promise to try and take it easy on the little kids and old ladies. I promise.)

During karate class last night, I missed my usual heart-pumping hardcore warm-up. The higher belts got to sweat and pant and nearly pass out. We lower belts did some light (I mean seriously light) warm ups and moved on to work on other things.

I'll admit I was a little miffed. I know I'm still just a newbie, but I look forward to those major warm-ups. I can actually keep up with people there. I can push-up, sit-up, lunge, and jump jacks with the best of them. And to me that's a really big deal in a class where I constantly feel clumsy and uncoordinated and often completely lost.

To make matters worse, some ego-inflated goon made a comment to me about the warm-up the upper belts did. "You wouldn't have been able to keep up with us anyway."

Excuse me Mr. Goon? Do you know who you are talking to? Do you know how much time I put in at the gym? Don't let the ponytail fool you, Mr. Goon.

I mean, they were just doing jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, and mountain climbers. It's not like it's complicated. Sure they did them non-stop for almost 20 minutes, but I assure you if I had been participating I would NOT have given up. (It's part of that competetive psychosis that makes me keep going as long as someone else is.)

Do I look that unassuming? I've got some pretty mean biceps for a female. But I think that's just it. Mr. Goon just sees a thin pretty little female. Ugh. Whatever.

It did make me hit the gym extra hard today. I want to make sure that Mr. Goon won't ever have the opportunity to show me up. Nope. Not a chance.

No comments: