Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy Holidays

I know I haven't been blogging much lately. Sorry to keep you all in the dark. I just haven't felt much like spilling my guts, not to mention how busy I am. There's not much free time to spend in front of the computer lately, what with work and kids and Christmas shopping and my Twilight obsession....there just hasn't been time to blog.
Christmas was fabulous, of course. I managed to get everything done that needed (or that I WANTED) to get done with time to spare. The kids made out like bandits, showered in gifts from their grandparents, great grandparents, and aunts and uncles. It made me glad that I didn't go out and spend a lot of cash on presents even though I had it to spend. Sometimes simple is better. Actually, simple is almost ALWAYS better no matter what the occasion.

We had a nice morning of gift opening and a huge breakfast. Then Keith's entire family traveled in from various parts of the state for more gift opening and more food. Then we hopped in the car and headed to Virginia to spend a few days with my parents where we enjoyed more gift opening and even more food. I'm sure I've probably gained a few pounds, but it's been an enjoyable journey.

Saturday I went hunting with my dad and bagged my second deer of the season. I'm just a good shot. What can I say? I know it's hard for a lot of people to understand my affection for hunting. I'll just say it's a very complicated thing. Most of it revolves around my love of the outdoors, and nature, and fresh air, and all that jazz. But there's something deeper there that revolves around my somewhat dysfunctional relationship with my father. I LOVE my dad, don't get me wrong, but the only times my father has ever told me he was proud of me have happened after I've killed something, whether that animal has fins, feathers, or fur. So I somehow feel better about myself when I'm hunting. And my dad is an entirely different person when he's in the woods or on the water. He's actually a very likeable guy...and he's HAPPY. I like seeing my dad happy, especially since he seems so constantly miserable.

So now I'm home from all the holiday hooplah. I decided to just take a day off of everything. I spent weeks baking and shopping and mailing cards and wrapping and cleaning house and.....stressing. So now that it's all over, I'm just relaxing. I refuse to unpack, do any laundry, or otherwise do anything work-like. I've spent the day laying in bed finishing the last Twilight book, and then ripping music to the computer to download onto the new MP3 player my parents gave me for Christmas. I didn't even have to cook. Keith and Silas went out and bought pizza for dinner. So I'll spend the rest of the evening lounging around, surfing the 'net, and maybe filing songs into playlists. Tomorrow it's back to the normal routine. At least as normal as it gets around here.

I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday. If you didn't, it's probably your own fault.

No comments: