Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lost in Twilight

I know it's been a while since I've blogged. I promise I'm still alive, I've just been a little.......busy. Yeah, that's it.

I've spent the past week totally immersed in Twilight . I picked up the first book by Stephenie Meyer after having a weird dream about being chased by vampires (through a giant miniature golf course), but having another vampire protect me. The weird things my subconscious comes up with. I knew the gist of the Twilight plot and decided maybe I should give it a shot. Besides I needed something light (and non-Anne Rice) to read while visiting the in-laws.

I had no idea I would get so totally lost in that book. Usually I'm a pretty fast reader, especially when it comes to something like teen fiction, but I took an entire week to read this book. Why? Because I had to savor every word, go back and reread the juicy stuff, and when I was finished I immediately wanted to flip back to the front and read the entire book again. I'm not kidding. It's that unbelievably good! I've gotten over the initial embarrassment of being an intelligent 35 year-old mother of four who is madly in love with a fictional teenage vampire. I'm willing to lay it all on the line and confess how much I LOVE this book.
So Saturday I picked up New Moon , the second book in the series. This one I read in two days flat. I can't really tell you why because it will give away an important part of the story, but I'll just say I was in a hurry to get to the part about my favorite character. Sunday, I purchased 3 matinee tickets for Daniel, Hannah, and myself. I used the excuse of an afternoon of bonding with my oldest children as an excuse to watch the story I've been so preoccupied with on the big screen. My husband has asked me to please put off buying Eclipse , the next book in the series, so that he can have some time to actually talk to his wife. I did manage to go a whole day without purchasing the book, although I twitched a little as I drove past the bookstore today. I will admit to secretly rereading the first chapter of Twilight right after dinner. I can't help it. I do tend to have a little bit of an obsessive personality, but I am thoroughly addicted to the characters in these books, a total junkie. Yes, Twilight is "exactly my brand of heroin." I'm sure I'll be getting my hands on the next book before the weekend rolls around. Then I can get lost in Forks while my husband gets lost in football games. He can't complain, right?

And yes, I do realize that it is a bit on the pathetic side that I've actually changed my Myspace layout to correspond with my new obsession, so there's no need to point it out to me. Thanks.

No comments: