Monday, March 26, 2012

Read the Book! My review of The Hunger Games movie.

We finally went to see The Hunger Games.  After foiled plans to see the midnight premier, we had to patiently (or rather impatinetly on the part of my 13 year-old daughter) wait until Sunday afternoon.

Now let me preface this movie review of sorts with this...I LOVED the books.  And by "loved" I mean thouroughly enjoyed, relished, and obsessed over.  I fell in love with the character of Katniss...and being a competitve archer and outdoors woman myself...I kinda felt a bit of kindredship.  She is at the top of my list of literary heroines...right up there with Lyra Belaqua and Ayla from Clan of the Cave Bear.

I went into the movie hoping not to be totally disappointed as I ALWAYS am regarding books gone big screen.  But at the same time knowing it would ultimately fall short.  I have never, ever seen a movie anywhere that puts a book to shame, or even makes it blush in awkward embarrassment.  It's just not possible for this book worm to ever prefer a movie of any kind to a book...of any kind.  I like to live between pages.  Get lost for days at a time.

So it's no surprise that I left The Hunger Games disappointed.  Sorry fans.  I will say this, however:  it is the best adaptation of a book that I have ever seen.  But it's just not the book, perhaps a nice accompaniment to the book.  But don't think for one second that if you've seen the movie, you don't need to read the books.  There is no way this movie can stand alone.  No way you can understand Katniss or Peeta or Haymitch or anyone.  There's just no possible way for it to happen in a 2 hour movie.  There's too much you miss out on.  Too much you can't possibly understand.

I do give major props to the casting.  The acting was awesome.  I was particularly pleased with Jennifer Lawrence who played Katniss.  Bravo, Jennifer!  Bravo!  And nice shooting, too.  I hear she trained with Olympic archer, Khatuna Lorig (who claims with a little more training, Jennifer could be Olympic caliber). 

So should you see it?  Absolutely.  Should you read the book first?  Definitely.  And after seeing it should you read the book again?  That's what I'm about to do.  Happy Hunger Games!

No comments: