Monday, October 7, 2013

21 Days to Better Habits

There are areas in everyone's life that they want to improve.  I have a long list (okay actually it's really just a mental list because I'm kind of a procrastinator and that would probably be the number one entry if I did actually have a list, but I don't) of new habits I'd like to create.  Habits I'm certain would make my life better, run more smoothly, and generate prosperity.

Out there in the self-help world there's no lack of information and advice for developing new more healthy or productive habits.  The 21 day rule is a pretty common one.

The idea is that if you can commit to just 3 weeks of consistently implementing your new habit, after the 21 days is up, it will be programmed into your brain, and you won't have to struggle with that area anymore...for the rest of your life....ever.

Sounds pretty promising, huh?  I mean...I can commit to do just about anything for 21 days.

Except it's probably a myth. (See here and here)  An attractive myth, but still a myth.

Use your brain for half a second.  If all it took was 21 days to form new healthier more productive habits, people wouldn't constantly struggle with their weight, alcoholics would be practically nonexistent, and my house would be consistently clean and free from dust bunnies.

That being said, even 21 days of good habit implementation can be worth it.  Just because you may end up trashing your habit of waking up early after the 21 day "habit-forming" period, doesn't mean you can't harvest the reward of early rising for the 21 day period.

So I'm still willing to give it a try.  I'm committing to write a blog a day for the next 21 days.  Even if no one reads a single one, I will benefit from the 21 day experience.  So here we go!

No comments: